Posey County is a great place to fish. Hovey Lake is one of the best spots in the midwest for Crappie. The Old Dam is fantastic for large Catfish. Harmonie State Park has two scenic ponds stocked with bass, bluegill and catfish, a creek and bank fishing on the Wabash. The Mount Vernon riverfront is a good spot to cast a line in the Ohio.
The Wabash, Ohio and Hovey lake are all accessible to boats, though Hovey is electric motor only.
The Cabela Fishing Tournament is held annually in Mount Vernon.
- Big Bayou RiverBig Bayou River runs up near Griffin in the northern part of the county and is a favorite for local fisherman.
- Dogtown Ferry Public Fishing Area & Boat …The Dogtown Ferry Public Fishing Site and Boat Ramp is located at the end of a dirt road in a very rural area. It is not well-maintained and is often flooded or very muddy in rainy seasons.
- Harmonie State Park Boat RampThe Harmonie State Park boat ramp offers easy access to the Wabash to the park’s campers.
- Harmonie State Park FishingHarmonie State Park offers several great fishing options. One can fish in several ponds near the campground or off the banks of the scenic Wabash River, where a boat launch ramp is also available.
- Hovey LakeHovey Lake is a 1,400 acre oxbow lake where cypress trees that grow out of the water. It is an excellent spot for sightseeing, hiking, bird watching, picnicking and kayaking, as well as hunting and fishing. There is a levee that serves as an interesting trail where it is common ...
- Hovey Lake Boat RampThe Hovey Lake Boat ramp provides access to Hovey Lake for boats, kayaks and canoes.
- Mount Vernon Boat RampThe Mount Vernon Public Boat ramp is a great place to put in the Ohio. A popular spot for water skiing, pontoons, fishing and other types of boats.
- New Harmony Boat RampThe New Harmony public boat ramp is a great place to put in the Wabash. It’s just a short ways upriver from the Old Dam, right next to the historic New Harmony bridge.
- The Ohio RiverThe Ohio River is Posey County’s Eastern Border, extending down to the tip of Indiana where it meets the Wabash and helping to create the unique ecosystem we call the Point. Visitors can enjoy scenic points along the Ohio from Mount Vernon all the way down to J.T. Meyers Locks and ...
- The Old DamThe Old Dam is a group of natural rock formations rising from the bed of the Wabash River near New Harmony. When the Wabash is low in Summer, the rocks emerge forming a series of rapids, pools, and waterfalls, it becomes one of the best swimming holes east of the Mississippi. ...
- Uniontown Ferry Boat RampThe Uniontown Ferry Boat Ramp is well-maintained with a large parking lot on the Ohio River where the old Uniontown Ferry used to operate.
- Wabash RiverThe Wabash River starts at Grand Lake in western Ohio and flows 475 miles to where it flows into the Ohio in Posey County. It was first discovered by Europeans in 1669 by the famous French explorer Robert Cavelier de La Salle while he was exploring the Ohio River. The name ...
- Wabash River Picnic AreaThe Wabash River park within Harmonie State Park is one of the nicest spots to enjoy the Wabash. It has a short trail along the river’s steep bank and the sunsets, often spectacularly, at a bend downriver. There are several picnic tables and a nice modern playground.